Tuesday 28 February 2012

Why I'm blogging about being a greying person

I suppose I should say something about why I'm writing this blog.

My aim is first to keep a record of my experience as I move towards the end-stage of life, on retiring, getting older. And then reflecting on how my views on the world are changing possibly as a result (although possibly not).

Second, I'm doing it as someone who will always be a social worker, so I plan to reflect on the greying stage of my life (I'm not actually totally grey yet) from 40 years of experience in the social work world, a good deal of which has been involved with older people.

Third, and also drawing on academic stuff on older people because I've also been a social work academic. And on the end-of-life world because I've been involved in that, too.

An aspect of that, fourth, is looking at current events and policy from the point of view of a greying social worker.

So far, it's been reporting greying experiences and a couple of comments on current affairs. It will develop, and I'll post again about how it's developing.

But I'm continuing with some of my other blogs. So how I share out material between them will also develop.

For the record, that's my self-positioning blog (a photo and a gentle question that might encourage you to look at yourself), my big society, community and social work blog (focused on community policy) and my social work around the world blog (which celebrates all the different social works around the world).

You can visit these here: Self-positioning
Big society, community and social work
Social work around the world

You may know that I've been writing a blog on end-of-life and palliative care and social care policy and practice for St Christopher's Hospice: you can find that here: Social care/palliative care. This will stop when I retire, and I may, but with a reduced frequency, start up a personal blog on these topics. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment