Thursday 16 May 2013

Has your room got its own mood? The latest silly decorating trend?

The National Trust magazine tells me (in passing in an article about planning your garden) that I need a mood board for each room in my house - I suppose I'm supposed to think what mood I'd like to be in in each room and adapt accordingly. I learned when we had a new lighting system in the church that it was adjusted according to moods in the services and in each area of the church; it brightens up when the service starts, for example, and when the choir's singing we get brighter lights.

Presumably I'm supposed to think about lighting schemes for my house, according to mood. When I'm depressed, the lights are lowered and black dogs reflected on the ceiling. Or do I just have to have the news projected on the wall? Do my happy family pics revolve like the portraits in the Murgatroyd Mansion (you have to have a background in Gilbert and Sullivan to know what this means), replacing cheerful snaps of weddings with family funerals?

Bur mainly I'm depressed that such a nonsense is being foisted on us as an innovation. I don't want my house to reflect my mood, and I don't want to move from room to room according to the mood I'm feeling. I suppose I might want the mood to be upbeat to keep me cheerful. And do people visiting stop looking at the decoration and the gadgets and instead do psychological assessments of the mood?

I'll consider a mood blog. Or it occurs to me perhaps I already have one - my more or less daily self-positioning blog probably has different photos and questions according to my mood. Look and see if you can assess it...http://self-positioning.tumblr.com/. But don't look at my less frequent end-of-life care blog, probably most people find that project depressing... http://sweol.wordpress.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment