Wednesday 15 May 2013

The permanency of paper against the temporality of a blog

I suppose I should say something about when you get a gap in my blogs as in the last few weeks. It's sometimes when I'm away: people know where I live and can burgle the house if I tell them in advance. Do burglars read blogs? But most often, as in the case of the end of April, it's when deadlines or publisher's pressures get heavy and I have to write academic papers and edit books and so on instead of write blogs.

Should that have priority over my blogs? Probably more people read my blog than read my books, and certainly more people see them than read academic papers. But then if they do, they probably forget it instantly, and there's something more satisfying about holding something made of paper in your hand, although people probably forget those instantly, too. But that's probably an old-fashioned view, and won't survive my generation.

Although I suppose paper's not that permanent, so the distinction is probably senseless...

No comments:

Post a Comment