Wednesday 8 October 2014

The more you do the more you risk falling as you age

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-07-older-african-americans-fall.html
Anyone involved with social work knows that, as you get frailer in old age, falls can lead to all sorts of difficulties that prevent you from leading an independent life - loss of self-confidence can limit your lifestyle. So my eye was caught by the report of an American study by a social work academic found that African Americans were more likely to experience falls than non-Hispanic white people; this is possibly because they were less active so they were less at risk. Certainly, in general, physical limitations and health problems put you more at risk of falling. I must say that I step a whole lot more carefully than I used to, even though there's not yet a lot wrong with me. For one thing, I find I judge distance edges on kerbs and staircases less well than when I was younger.

Link to the academic article: Racial/Ethnic Predictors of Falls Among Older Adults: The Health and Retirement Study by Emily J. Nicklett and Robert Joseph Taylor.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment