Monday 20 October 2014

Would flats in tower blocks suit older people better than special housing?

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/news/local-headlines/room-with-a-view-for-older-tower-residents-1-3400413
A newspaper report tells us that a tower block in North Lanarkshire has been designated for use by older residents. The argument is that it's close to the shops and other services and the flats are the right size for older people. Others can live there, too, however, so it's a bit different from the usual housing flatlet or bungalow scheme for older people. For myself, if in later years I'm left on my own, I'd certainly fancy a smaller property with a view and the maintenance taken care of.

What do other people think?

Link to the article.

1 comment:

  1. It would be ok if you like high rise living. Architecture and design have a massive part to play in providing good quality housing for all and is something the UK is not great at promoting. Anywhere that can provide high quality, innovative and aesthetically pleasing and affordable housing will always have appeal. Make it safe and secure with maintenance thrown in and the buyers will be kicking the doors down to buy...young or old. Hopefully, when I am 86, in forty years time, housing of this calibre will be available for me, complete with the latest technology to enable me to continue listening to music, watching films, using social media and connecting with family and friends all over the world. And if in a high riser, the lifts will have to be working at all times...I have bad knees you know!

    ReplyDelete